Menu

Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Show posts Menu

Messages - progich

#1
Quote from: "Blake"If it is not adjusted right, I would do that first. Also make sure there is no grease or sticky oil on the clutch surfaces. That will keep them stuck together, even while disengaged, especially with no load or while you're trying to get it into gear.

If all is in adjustment and there is nothing sticky in there, and you do get it broke loose, go ahead and use the tractor. I don't think it would hurt to purposely slip the clutch a little to get it warm and scuff any surface rust off.

Blake

It looks like there is a dried oil film on all of the clutch parts in there.  Is this normal?  If not is there anything I can use to clean it?  Thanks, Pete
#2
Quote from: "Bob"The AG manual is basically the same except for the tracks and some other small items, but will serve you fine. It isn't too hard to get the clutch out. I think I'd try chaining it up (Holding clutch disengauged assumed you figured it out), but like I said, just don't get ridiculously rough and ruin something.

I chained the cletrac to a tree today and had a friend start it up in gear for me.  I used 1st gear so it would turn over easier.  At high speed I pushed in the clutch and held it when the chain ended it seemed to break it free.  I let the clutch out two times and it grabbed each time but when I went to put it in reverse it took off with the clutch pushed all the way down, then I pulled it out of gear so I did not run over all the stuff behind me.  

Could the clutch not be stuck but way out of adjustment?  So when I push the clutch down it is not totally disengaged.  When it was chained to the tree it held it back but when I let the clutch out the tracks spun on the concrete the two times I tried it.  Any further ideas would be great. Thanks, Pete.

One other thing, when it is at idle, out of gear, and you push the clutch down you can hear it bog down a little as it tries to stop the flywheel.  This Cletrac was stolen for over a year so I am not sure what the thieves did to it when they had it.
#3
Quote from: "Bob"I'd chain it to a tree or something solid (I chose the log truck) give yourself some slack and hit it a couple times, in any gear really. Just don't get ridiculously rough with it to break it, inside or out.

I'll give this a try today before I decide to tear into it.  I just have to show the wife how to stand behind the Cletrac and engage this homemade starter set up while I am in the driver's seat.  That should be fun.  :D
#4
Quote from: "Bob"It is a twin disc clutch inside there. I think I'd just pull it out and clean it up if you are already that far. There is a slim posability that you could loosten the bolts enough for it to slip, but I wouldn't count on it. They aren't terrible to pull from the top like that.

Hey Bob,
I was going to try to chain the Cletrac to a tree and start it in gear to try to break it free.  Do you think I should try this first or should I take the time to pull it apart?  Not sure how hard an E-38 is to brake the clutch free in this manner.  Also I have a Model AG instruction book for reference in regards to removing the clutch.  Is a model AG close enough to a model E-38 for reference?  Thanks for any ideas all, Pete
#5
I have the cover off of the top of the clutch housing.  I see the spring plate of the clutch but cannot seem to see where the clutch makes contact with the flywheel.  At this point is there anyway to use a pry bar to break the bond or do I have to start loosening the clutch bolts?  Thanks for any help you all have on this issue, Pete
#6
As Oliverchris suggested I put it in 3rd gear then engaged the starter with the clutch fully pressed.  all it did was move the Cletrac slowly up the trailer.  I then put it in reverse and used the starter to move it back down the trailer.  Not sure what to do next?  Do I need to chain it to a tree then start it in gear now?
#7
Quote from: "oliverchris"Yes, your clutch is stuck and your remedy is worth a try.
If you had electric start you could try and start it in 3rd gear, but I guess you have a hand crank model. Not sure the winch will give it enough of a jolt. How about put the Cletrac in gear and tow it with a truck? - don't turn the fuel line on unless you have a driver on the E!
I am sure some others will have good ideas...

Hi and thanks for your reply,
I was just out and tried to pull it in 2nd gear with the trailer winch but it is dragging the E up the trailer.  Its a 9,000 lbs winch so it can pull just about anything.  I do have an electric start on the E (It is a Farmer add on at the PTO) but was not sure if I wanted to start it in gear by myself.  I am going to step outside and pull the plug wires then turn it over to see if that works.  If anybody else can give my some ways to unstick this clutch I would very much appreciate the help.  Thanks, Pete
#8
Hi all,
New owner and first post to this forum.  I have been working on getting my Cletrac running,  It runs great now that I did a few things but when I try to put it in gear the gears just grind away.  I have it at a low idle then push the clutch all the way down then try to put it in gear.  It is like the flywheel does not slow down, is this a stuck clutch?  If so what can I do at this point?  I have it on my trailer at the moment.  While in neutral it pulled up the trailer just fine (tracks free).  Should I put it in gear and try to pull it with the winch on the trailer to free the clutch?  I will block the clutch pedal down before I do this too.  Any help would be great.  Thanks all, Pete