Guys
Thanks for the prompt responses with good info and leads to follow. I was pushing fire breaks yesterday using the Britstand blade at an angle and it was doing a good job although slow. It was also hot dusty and noisy but I had time to think that it was worth considering what was involved in keeping the old tractor going for this sort of job. The engine starts well and runs well after it warms up and now that I have replaced the radiator it runs cool for hours. I have a leaking water pump seal that only appears to be an issue when the tractor is sitting idle.
I've also been dismantling top and bottom rollers from a spare set of undercarriage I inherited to see what is involved in refurbishing them. I have previously looked at the top rollers on 2 other spare DDHs I have but they had the lock nuts and thrust washers welded up. On this last one though I found a top roller in original condition although the shaft is badly worn. I have a lathe so I'm thinking I should be able to turn up a new shaft, bore the bronze bushes and find modern oil seals.
Thanks in particular for the pitch measurements. I have 4 sets of spare tracks and until now no real idea of what condition they are in. One set has a very good set of grousers as my father had welded lengths of hard steel bar on about 40 years ago. I have wondered about the work involved in changing a set of grousers. Someone suggested to me though that if my grousers are worn down enough so that I can spin the tracks when I come up against a stump than I have a built in safety facor for an old tractor.
Anyhow any further comments appreciated.
Thanks for the prompt responses with good info and leads to follow. I was pushing fire breaks yesterday using the Britstand blade at an angle and it was doing a good job although slow. It was also hot dusty and noisy but I had time to think that it was worth considering what was involved in keeping the old tractor going for this sort of job. The engine starts well and runs well after it warms up and now that I have replaced the radiator it runs cool for hours. I have a leaking water pump seal that only appears to be an issue when the tractor is sitting idle.
I've also been dismantling top and bottom rollers from a spare set of undercarriage I inherited to see what is involved in refurbishing them. I have previously looked at the top rollers on 2 other spare DDHs I have but they had the lock nuts and thrust washers welded up. On this last one though I found a top roller in original condition although the shaft is badly worn. I have a lathe so I'm thinking I should be able to turn up a new shaft, bore the bronze bushes and find modern oil seals.
Thanks in particular for the pitch measurements. I have 4 sets of spare tracks and until now no real idea of what condition they are in. One set has a very good set of grousers as my father had welded lengths of hard steel bar on about 40 years ago. I have wondered about the work involved in changing a set of grousers. Someone suggested to me though that if my grousers are worn down enough so that I can spin the tracks when I come up against a stump than I have a built in safety facor for an old tractor.
Anyhow any further comments appreciated.
