AG6 Gear Oil

Started by Steve, August 09, 2006, 12:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Steve

Hello Everyone
I have a question that maybe someone has some knowledge about I got my AG6 stuck in the creek last week and it was in there for about a week. The seals donââ,¬â,,¢t work as well as they did at one time so the gear oil was subjected to muddy water. I have drained the oil out of it and it looked like the muddy creek water but with the feel and smell of gear oil. There was no separation of oil and water so I think the muddy water emulsified in the oil. I was thinking of dumping some diesel fuel or used motor oil or a mixture of the two running the unit back and forth to flush the system out and then refilling it with new gear oil.
Maybe some one can advise me on this or am I wasting my time and should I just refill the tractor :?:
Steve
South East Indiana

walter hudson

ag6
#1
it would be best to use the type oil that you plan to leave in it. just change it a couple of times. also the water will settle to the bottom of the final drives and trans. case.

Blake Malkamaki

#2
Steve, the oil you should use in there is SAE 50 non-detergent motor oil.

I think if it were mine, I'd consider pulling all the covers and drain plugs and use an air gun to blast fuel oil down through everything and just let it run out the bottom. I wouldn't run the tractor, but just let gravity wash the crud that has settled to the bottom out.

Maybe someone has better ideas.

Blake
My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.

walter hudson

agh
#3
I agree the best cure is to pull the trans. top and clean everything .

Steve

#4
Ok I will take that advise and pull the top and clean it up  :?:

John Schwiebert

#5
Steve you said final drives right? The transmission takes 50 weight non detergent motor oil, the final drives take the gear oil. Also lubricate the front idlers and rollers too. That should force some of the bad stuff out. Or am I missing something in this conversation? John
John Schwiebert

Steve

#6
Hi John
Doesnââ,¬â,,¢t the final drive and the transmission share the same oil reservoir on the AG6?
Steve

Blake Malkamaki

#7
Quote from: "Steve"Doesnââ,¬â,,¢t the final drive and the transmission share the same oil reservoir on the AG6?

Yes, it shares the same oil. The pump pulls it from the final drives to the transmission, where it runs down over dams, through the steering housing and back to the final drives.
My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.

John Schwiebert

#8
Sorry: I was think HG. John And I didn't think the A series had pumps, never was in the transmission of the A series. Sorry. John
John Schwiebert

Blake Malkamaki

#9
Quote from: "John Schwiebert"And I didn't think the A series had pumps, never was in the transmission of the A series. Sorry. John

Yes, the A has a pump. The E does too, but the E does not share the oil with the final drives.

Blake
My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.

Steve

#10
Hi blake Said
QuoteSteve, the oil you should use in there is SAE 50 non-detergent motor oil.
But my manual said at +70 to use 140w mineral gear oil?
I still am asking this question

Blake Malkamaki

#11
Quote from: "Steve"Hi blake Said
QuoteSteve, the oil you should use in there is SAE 50 non-detergent motor oil.
But my manual said at +70 to use 140w mineral gear oil?
I still am asking this question

There may have been some changes over the years on recommendations. Your tractor is newer than my E - whose manual recommends the 50 wt - and I know gear oils have a heavier weight number than motor oils, even though their viscosity is the same. The 140w gear oil and the 50w motor oil may be the same in viscosity.

What you definitely don't want to use is any oil with extreme pressure or hypoid additives.

Blake
My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.