BGSH Questions

Started by Ken, September 18, 2007, 04:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ken

Hello!  This is my first time on this forum (or any forum).  

I have a BGSH model (1 or L?)2C128 with a Cletrac JXD engine, Carco Model E winch and a Traacson blade.  It was a derelict on the property we bought and after replacing the carb and fixing a lot of electrical and fuel problems I've been able to fire it up.  It runs great!  The blade and winch work.  So far so good.  I haven't run it except to get it over by my shop.  The next step is to change the oil in the gear/transmission box and the tracks but I need to know what oil to use.  I drained some transmission oil and it's pretty thick, smells of sulfur (old gear oil?) and has some fine brass shavings in it.

I've worked on cars some, but never a bulldozer.  Needless to say, any suggestions on the oil and what I should do before trying her out are greatly appreciated.

Blake Malkamaki

#1
Ken, the transmission/differential/final drives share the same oil and use 50 wt non-detergent engine oil. The upper and lower track wheels and idlers also use 50 wt non-detergent engine oil.

Do a search on transmission oil and you'll find a lot of information. Zimmermans have done some research on transmission and gear oils, so you will want to read their findings.

Blake
My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.

Ken

#2
Blake, thank you for the quick reply and information!  The folks I've asked around here have suggested everything from gear oil to cod liver oil.  I'll go with your expertise.

The teeth on the drive sprockets are about 2" long but are worn until the points are sharp.  Is this an immediate concern?  Would I run the risk of slipping a track under load or a sharp turn?

Also, is this about a 1950 model (12C128)?

Thanks again!

John D

#3
Quote from: "Ken"Also, is this about a 1950 model (12C128)?

Thanks again!
According to my sources, yours looks like a late 1950 - the 1951 started with serial# 12C230
John D
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.

Ken

#4
Thanks, John D.!  The old beast is about as old as I am.  I could use some 50 wt myself some days.  I'm still puttering away cleaning filters and grease cup ports, etc.  Will replace the hydraulic hoses next and should be good to go!

Ken

John D

#5
Quote from: "Ken"Thanks, John D.!  The old beast is about as old as I am.  I could use some 50 wt myself some days.  I'm still puttering away cleaning filters and grease cup ports, etc.  Will replace the hydraulic hoses next and should be good to go!

Ken

My '46 AG-6 is showing a bit more wear on its bones than I am, but it's had a much harder life.  Not sure which of us has worked harder, but I'm betting I've worked many more hours than it ever did!  If I ever get back to finish its restoration, I'll have to cover my grey to look as youthful.. Ha ha!!   :lol:
John D
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.