need help IDing crawler

Started by pvcarey, December 10, 2002, 12:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pvcarey

Hello, I need help, I have a track loader, about a 50 mod. its not a Cletrec, I am thinking it might be a BF Avery but I can not find any info on it, I have a avery model A and its setup the same  Hercules IXB3 with drive shaft to the trans, the  trans looks to be the same. The only tag is on the loader frame American tractor co.
in Cal. Thanks for any insight you can give.
Ron mailto:pvcarey@aol.com">pvcarey@aol.com

thecatskinner

#1
Sounds like a TerraTrac made by the American Tractor Company--- they got bought out by Case.

Blake Malkamaki

#2
I agree. Case used the same Clark rearend as the HGs and OC-3s. They used it for years and years later and may still use it today.
My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.

John Schwiebert

#3
They also used a Clark transmission as did the Oliver HG-OC-4 models. They were made In Churubusco IN. The first Case models were also built there. Avery also used the Clark built transmission. In fact i have seen a little Clark dozer very compareable to the Oliver.
John Schwiebert

pvcarey

#4
here is a shot of the loader, it was working fine till i took the motor out for repair, now I hunting for a set of mains (for less then $300)
Ron

thecatskinner

#5
Dang PV---ya killed it:o:o:P

There ain't enough there for me to ID it--that is going to take someone that is real familiar with TerraTrac under carriages;):D:D

pvcarey

#6
yes its dead,I need to find main bearings, I have looked at some teratracks and I don't see any thing that looks the same,for example, if you look close you can se the seat just hanging out the back, the tera. has a "box around the seat
(i think with the hyd. oil tank,)my oil tank is a u shaped pipe in front of the rad.I have more pix will post this is a front view
motor is out

Blake Malkamaki

#7
I think it's an HG or OC-3. I believe Case used their own engine.

American Tractor Company was bought out by Case, but in this case I bet they just made the loader. Looks like quite a primitive loader at that.

I notice no suspension - which is better for a loader so it does't bob around. Does that look factory or home made?

Good luck.
My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.

Eric Severance

#8
Morning folks,
    I'm going to guess that it is an HG, middle to late forties, or 50. I have a partser HG that had the same exact loader on it, and I gave the loader to G. Gibby. My partser is a 1948, or 49. It is a massive loader, and very rugged for the size tractor that it is on. Yes Blake they did do away with the spring suspension. The front cross member appeared to me to be incorporated with the loader accessory package.
     There are a couple companies offering re-babbiting services for those bearings, as they are no longer available. I haven't had to have any done yet, so cannot relate the cost. Hang on to your originals, as you will need them for cores.
"No matter where you go, there you are"

John Schwiebert

#9
Somewhere around here I have a serial number for OC-3 models when they went to insert bearings. That might eliminate the HG models. Another thing, all the American or Terra Track models I ever saw had a Continental engine. The next thing are there casting numbers on the rear axles and does anybody know if those numbers are Cletrac numbers or Clark numbers. I did some research a few years for an Avery collector and that was right after Dana had purchased Clark and they made that basic transmission for over twenty different manufactures. I agree with Eric, find somebody in the business and get your shells repoured.
Jerry Biro can help you with that if all else fails.
John Schwiebert

Eric Severance

#10
Here is a picture of my HG partser before we stripped the loader off it. I think you will notice a lot of similarities.
"No matter where you go, there you are"

pvcarey

#11
I think that its the samething, I have had the machine for over 6 and never seen one like it any info will help
Ron

Eric Severance

#12
Ron,
   You have come to the right place for information. Ask away, there are many knowlegable people frequenting this sight. Your Oliver HG crawler is a fairly common model and some one here should be able to help you out. It's the model of the loader attachment that is uncommon about your tractor. Yours is the only other one I have seen besides the one I had. What part of the country are you from ?
"No matter where you go, there you are"

Doug

#13
I'm fairly sure you have an HG there,,,,,,just look at the track frames and rear sprocket. The narrow (inside flange) front idler would make it an HG rather than an OC-3. Good luck on the mains,,,,,,about the only thing you can do is get your old ones re-babbitted. Look for a company that does this for old auto restoration,,,,,it's commonly done,,but usually expensive

pvcarey

#14
I'm near Fort smith AR. thank for any, and all help and info
Ron