Menu

Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Show posts Menu

Messages - pushing42

#1
Hey Les,
After reading the post regarding my starting issues, I have to belive it's all about the air, fuel mixture when starting. After I rebuilt the entire system to 12V it cranks a little faster than it should but still fires. When I stall it in a push at 3/4 throttle it takes about 10-12 tries to refire at almost no throttle. Built up fuel is the problem because you can see white smoke (unburn fuel) come through the exaust. If I walk away for 5 minutes and let it air out it fires after 2-3 tries. I'm going to try and improve this problem somehow because I know the starter is not going to last like this. My intake manifold is not in the best shape and that also may contribute to the problem. If I have it ground there won't be much left of it and I'll have to breakdown and buy a new one from Zimmerman.  Tracks still and issue but I got a hold of weights for the back to offset the heavy blade and I hope it helps. Besides all this I have managed to clear a couple acres of Berry Briars and snags and have a couple of nice burn piles to light. See ya.
#2
Thanks to all who replied with my track and starting problem. Les was a big help and still is and thanks to Paul I got my timing straightened out. The mark on my flywheel only had DC on it and there was two paintied teeth on my Mag that perfectly lined up with the raised mark on the rotor after I got it to TDC. I was off one tooth. I was telling Les that I got it down in a Creek bed at a steep angle and killed it. Starter  happened to go at the same time and had it rebult to 12 volt as I did the entire system.  FYI- When at a steep angle, all the fuel runs to the two front pistons. It would POP but not go! Could not re-fire until I jacked it up and leveled it out. It's in the barn now, 7 days later. On to broken pins and cracked intakes. It never ends. Thanks again. Dave
#3
I just resurected my late Fathers 1941 HG 42 Cletrac and I was hoping someone could tell me the track adjustment tension. I threw a track resently and want to adjust it. I assume I can measure from the underside of the track down to a guide plate . I have read online 1 5/8 to 2" . Is that where I measure?
I also rebuilt the Carb which made a world of diffrence but am still have starting issues. It loads up very easly especially when I kill it in the middle of a push. It will however start over many attempts. I coverted it to 12 volt which is a great help but I know i'm taxing the starter. I have tried 3 combinations on the rotor by moving one tooth at a time and it will run in at least two of the settings. It runs amazingly well which no issues.  My next step is really finding TDC and aligning rotor. Any ideas on this as well?
Thanks.