Cletrac dozer at a scrap yard

Started by Philip, October 15, 2008, 07:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Philip

I'm hoping to save this machine. Pictures on ACMOC forum. Soon to be cut up for scrap. Owner is very reasonable. Thanks, Phil :)
http://www.acmoc.org/ACMOC_BB/showthread.php?t=4740

Blake Malkamaki

#1
Can you please post a picture of it here, or put a direct link to it. The links on that site will not work unless one is a member of that outfit.

Thanks,
Blake
My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.

Philip

#2

Blake Malkamaki

#3
That's an AD. Where is it located? Someone needs to snatch that up pretty quick!
My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.

Philip

#4
Now you've got me interested. Are these rare? Maybe I should be looking at restoring it. What are they worth? Phil

  It's located at Harrison's scrap near Picton, Ontario.

Blake Malkamaki

#5
ADs aren't particularly rare, but a good engine is. Undercarriage and tracks would be the other important consideration as to whether this tractor is worth restoring, but because it is a diesel, and may have a good engine, someone should make an attempt to save it.

Blake
My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.

Philip

#6
I see the right side engine manifold is off, I think it's the intake, not sure, but it's sitting on the deck. If it's a flathead then only blowing snow would get in through a valve, but then I've seen engines ruined that way. Does this engine have liners?

     I'll keep in touch with the owner and see if there's any interest. With the price of scrap really falling, she may be there a while yet. Sometimes old equipment will sit there for years if the price is way down. Where is the serial # tag? Any particular pictures that should be posted? Phil  :)

John Schwiebert

#7
It is a diesel so it will not be a flat head. Serial number will be on the engine side of the firewall between the engine and the fuel tank. You could part it out and make money.
John Schwiebert

Bob

#8
That engine is a Hercules DOOC. It does have liners. I bought 4 for mine a couple years ago from Landis. Looks to be in decent shape. I would say almost any machine is worth getting to save it from the scrap man if the price is good.

Bob
Certified Cletrac-tard

Philip

#9
I went back to the scrap dealer today and asked him if there were any inquiries. Apparently no one has called. I went over to the machine and found the serial # plate on the firewall. It's a:   AD    6Z178.    Phil :)

Philip

#10
Just an update. I talked to Ron at the wreckers a few days ago, someone from the forum was inquiring, I had talked to him also, but anyway they are asking $1500 for it. I think they are flexible, especially with the long wait probable before scrap goes back up to a reasonable price. I had a feeling $1000 might buy it.

    I suspect the machine will be sitting there for a while maybe several years. Ron is only concerned about the weight, the lighter the part, the cheaper the price, I believe. I asked about the motor, he said $500, he's not concerned about parting it out, so for anyone needing just parts, it's an opportunity....Phil

jonathanfleguel

I KNOW THIS IS AN OLD POST BUT I LIVE LESS THAN FIVE MINUTES FROM HARRISONS AND HAVE LOOKED AT THAT MACHINE.. A COUPLE WEEKS AGO A 47 BD CAME IN THERE AND IT IS NOW SITTING IN MY SHOP :D
1947 CLETRAC WITH A HEIL BLADE

Bob

Certified Cletrac-tard

jonathanfleguel

it was far too cool to let go to the torches.
1947 CLETRAC WITH A HEIL BLADE

jonathanfleguel

wel, i went up to the scrap yard to get some little stuff off the AD for my BD. and i was too late its been melted down. :cry:
1947 CLETRAC WITH A HEIL BLADE