Double D track question

Started by Bruce Jackson, May 27, 2008, 10:17:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bruce Jackson

Hi,
How do I tighten the tracks on my DD ?
Thanks Bruce

Robert Barbour

#1
Just ahead of the were the track frame mounts on the pivot shaft there is a 4" plate with a nut in the center ( held in place by 2 1/2 bolts ). This is the track adjusting nut.  The unfortunate thing is, there is no provision for greasing the adjusting screw and they are usually froze tight.  To free up you have to split the tracks and pull the whole assembly out the front then with a " LOT" of heat you may be able to free it up but it is not easy!!
Robert from Vancouver Island BC

Bruce Jackson

#2
I guess I'll look for a master pin or some way to get the tracks apart. Am not sure how to get the tensioner out the front.
 I wonder if there is someplace on the shroud or cover that I could cut into and make an access panel through which I might heat the adjuster.
The other option is to park the machine in an oil bath and wait.
 I don't have a lot to lose. The engine has to be rebuilt. Someone welded an HD7 371 Detroit in place of the original engine, and its getting tired.
 Anyhow thanks,
Bruce

Robert Barbour

#3
The Master pin is drilled for cotter pin on each end and link has two groves so it is easy to spot. Once your split the track you need to remove the adjusting gear on the side. It is held in by the two 1/2 inch bolts.  Even when you get this apart the adjusting screw is not easy to free up, cutting a window is not an option.  Use lots of a good anti-seize compund when you re-assemble.
Robert from Vancouver Island BC