OC3 with IXB3 has metal in the oil pan

Started by jeffesonm, July 24, 2012, 06:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jeffesonm

Well I changed the oil in the OC3 and found some pieces that I think are in the wrong spot :(





Stuff in the back looks like maybe pieces of bearings?  How about that big chunk in the front?  And the transparent looking things on the dime?

I just got the tractor two weeks back.  Starts right up.  Drove it around the yard just a little and it seemed to run okay.  Brought into the garage to change the fluids and here we are.  This is my first tractor and there's probably a lesson to be learned here, but either way this is what I've got.  What's next?  Compression test?  Drop oil pan?  Fill it back up with oil and drive it off a cliff?
OC-46-3G

oliverchris

Not much help, but the translucent bits could be bits off an old screwdriver handle? Or Amber ;D
You were lucky to find a dime in there  ;)
Specialising in Oliver & Cletrac Crawlers & Parts for HG's, OC-3's & OC-4's from the 30's to the 60's. OC-6 and others from time
1945 Cletrac HG42 + electric snowblade
1952 OC-3-31 sidewalk plow, OC-3-42 + Ware 3-WI (several)
OC-3-42 Heller Universal Trencher
1957 Oliver Super 55, 1958 Oliver 550's Gas/Diesel, 1970's Oliver 1255 FWA
1969 White 2-44 13LL (loader/backhoe)
OC-4 4 cyl. Anderson Dozer, OC-4 Series B 6-way Dozer, OC-46 Series B Loaders
OC-46-A Experimental Crawler Loader

hotratz

#2
Quote from: oliverchris on July 24, 2012, 08:41:17 PM
 
You were lucky to find a dime in there  ;)

;D


I'd be tempted to pull the pan and some bearing caps and do a general inspection.

John Schwiebert

The parts look like cast aluminum. I would think part of a piston skirt.
John Schwiebert

jeffesonm

Okay so I did a compression test and the results are below.  First time so hopefully I did it right... pulled all the plugs and opened the throttle all the way. Put the tester in cylinder 1 (nearest to radiator), and cranked 4-5 times using starter.  Repeat for remaining cylinders.




Based on everything I've read, 110 is a good number and %10 variance between min and max is good as well.  So that all seems pretty good.

Now onto the plugs.  Again, first tractor here, so I'm going entirely based on internet searching.  But it looks like 1 and 2 are good, 3 has a little oil, and 4 is pretty well oil fouled.








OC-46-3G