Photo of a very strange HG/OC3?

Started by Mike Anderson, October 29, 2002, 04:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mike Anderson

I can't remember if I've sent these before, but here is another strange unit that had an auxiliary transmission, plus, get this, a  hydraulic pump on the front which would drive a hydraulic motor hooked to the spot where a belt pulley would normally be at the rear of the crawler.  
 
You would put he thing in neutral, then by means of a valve, go forward or reverse instantly, plus vary the speed by throttling the valve.  The story was that it was used to pull guard rail posts, and was a county tractor.  Talk about having your options!  Odd bit of equipment.  
 
The guy wanted $1000 for it.......he'd never had it running.  I went over with a friend and a magneto, got it running and he decided not to sell.  Nice fellow.  It was a real tight running little thing, in spite of it's weirdness.  I was, shall I say, a bit disappointed.

MikeA

Mike Anderson

#1
Here's a side view of the same tractor:

Harvey Havens

#2
Mike that is a odd looking thing ya Mike bring your friend and magneto and head my way if want to HH

thecatskinner

#3
Great pictures--thanks.  
I hope you didn't put his mag back:o:mad::(

ggibby

#4
Mike, Cool machine.
I hope you at least got the guy to give you first dibs on the machine if he should change his mind again.
I would like to see some more of this tractor, any more pictures?
Have you seen this adaptaion made on any other tractors?
Any more info about how this was done?
Keep well,
George Gibby:)

Mike Anderson

#5
Here's another photo of the post puller tractor.

I didn't get any close-ups of the hydraulic drive.  Were you looking to see other tractor photos with the hydraulic drive, post puller or the aux. trans.?   I've put some other photos of a aux. Chev transmission  in a previous message.

Mike Anderson

#6
I just looked closer at the above photo, and you can see the drive valve and it's control lever just to the left if you're sitting in the seat.  The hydraulic motor would be located just below and to the rear of the valve.  As I recall, it actually looked like it was two motors stacked one on top of the other and directly coupled to the belt pulley shaft.  That may just be a style of motor, though.  I'm not sure.  There weren't any chains, belts or whatever either, if my memory serves me right.

ggibby

#7
Mike, I am interested in these machines and seeing and learning what the varied uses are or have been.
There seems to be no end to the many changes to get the most from them for the task at hand.
If You undo every change you end up with the basic machine, great.
If you have modifications that are well thought out, with good workmanship you end up with a unique tractor that will keep'em talking and thinking what a great thing these Crawlers are.
Keep the Pictures coming!
Regards,
George Gibby:)

buckchills

#8
Can you tell me what kind of blade is on that thing? - I've got one just like it and can only find a plate on the right side of the tractor frame that seems to indicate that the machine was retrofitted or worked on by a company in New Hampshire. There's no information on the plow frame or blade at all.  I'd appreciate any information regarding this blade setup from a historical perspective.

Mike Anderson

#9
Buckchills,

The photos of the discussed HG aren't coming up for me.  I'd be shocked if there was another one like that around....I don't think it had a blade, come to think of it.  Do you mean the blade on the photo next to my name?

If so, it's an Anderson blade, no relation to me that I know of!

There are more photos at the website:  

http://groups.msn.com/MikesOldStuff

Click on pictures or photos, then be sure to look at the "Photos" listing as well as the albums......for some reason you can't move photos between those areas.

Mike

andy b.

#10
where are the photos?  i don't see any......

andy b.

Mike Anderson

#11
Look on the left side of the page when you open up the website.

Click on "Pictures"

It should come up with thumbnails..............but also click on "show pictures", which is sort of another album with more photos.

Mike

mikegt4

#12
Mike
My OC3 has the same hydraulic tank, pump mount and control valve mounting pad as shown in your photos. I can see where there were brackets bolted to the frame rails at one time, in the same location as your machine. I have been trying to determine which Anderson blade my crawler once had. My Anderson brass tag reads "model HP 3677". Is your blade a Model HP?
I assume that 3677 is a serial #.

buckchills

#13
Mike - sorry to waste your time.  That was my first attempt at using this BB - I thought the pic next to your name was the one everyone was referring to.
Thanks again.

andy b.

#14
oh well.  i went to that link and looked at every photo i could find (three albums and three plain pages) and could find no photos of a weird crawler with a hydraulic motor connected to the belt pulley output.

if anyone has a direct link to the photo, i'd love to see it.

andy b.