Resurfacing drive wheels OC3

Started by realhardtail, November 26, 2008, 04:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

realhardtail

I am preparing to resurface my drivers from 55 years of love and gentle care.  I am wondering if anybody has some dimentions on how deep the cogs should be cut and how far between teeth and the thickness on an un-wornout tooth.  I will be filling the "valley" with weld and grinding it clean and round.  I suspect I'll be adding almost 1/2" in the deepest portion of the valley (between the teeth) and about 1/4" to the worn face of the tooth.  I've had some "build-up" instruction from an old CAT guy but I need the dimentions of the teeth.  Info and pictures would be great.

My teeth are about 2 3/4" between teeth, 1/4" across top of tooth.
There is about 5/8" of material left under the valley.

Jack in NB

#1
Your dimensions are about right.

The original tooth was about 1 " across the top, and the tips cleared the frame by 1/2" or so. But as the trunnions and track hangers wear, that clearance diminishes.

I built mine up with 6013 - a softer rod, and did not bother grinding. The track bushings wore them into shape nicely.

I had to cut the tops off some sprocket teeth after build-up to keep them from hitting the frame and rear lower track roller.
1952 OC 3 6WH994