Driveshaft removal

Started by snowdrifter52, March 07, 2005, 04:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

snowdrifter52

I have a 1941 model HG42.  The clutch will not release.  In trying to get to the clutch, I am not able to get enough end movement to the driveshaft to get if off of either the clutch shaft or the transmission input shaft.  Short of loosening the rear axle and moving it rearward, can the universal joints be seperated to get the drive shaft off?  There appears to be a washer type clip in the Ujoint cups that hold them in place.  How are they removed?  

Other question is does anyone know how to release a frozen clutch other than taking it out?  Had one suggestion of running the dozer blade into a tree with the clutch pedal pushed in.  Don't think I want to try this.

AdamPerry

#1
I TOO HAVE AN HG WITH A DOZER BLADE ATTACHED.  IN THE PAST IT'S CLUTCH HAS ACTED UP THE SAME WAY. ALL IT TOOK TO CONVINCE IT OTHER WISE WAS A FEW, SOLID (NOT FULL SPEED, WORK YOUR WAY UP FROM SLOW) TAP'S UP AGAINST A NEARBY TREE (PRETTY SURE THE TREE WAS GIGGLING ABOUT MY PREDICAMENT), TO SHOW IT THE ERROR OF IT'S WAYS.
       THIS TECHNIQUE WORKS ON MY KUBOTA LOADER AS WELL.

Ray

#2
Please don't run your HG up against a tree, it can break a lot of other things like the final drive gears, transmission gears, and last but not least it is very dangerous. Also if it does come loose, how are you going to know it didn't rip the facing off the clutch disc and now it will ruin your flywheel and pressure plate.

Take the clutch apart to free it and in the future block the clutch pedal in with a piece of wood or something else, and this should never happen again.

Take care.
Ray
My comments are not meant to discourage other members from posting, I encourage everyone to voice their opinion.
VENDOR: Zimmerman Oliver-Cletrac
Parts for Oliver and Cletrac Crawlers is our specialty.
www.olivercletrac.com

jbandka

#3
Hello,

I have done it Perrys way but you have to be very careful and if it don't come loose by just gently popping the clutch against the tree at low rpms I would then suggest Rays method... I have seen where you had to resurface the flywheel because the clutchplate was so frozen to it that it could not be broke loose or scraped off... Good Luck!!!

Joel

Bill Seal

#4
I've freed the plate from the flywheel by removing the starter and poking around with the bent end of a flat wrecking bar. If you screw things up, just remember, my name is John Doe. :lol:
If you want to use the tree method, use high gear- more torque against the engine.

John D

#5
Quote from: "snowdrifter52"Had one suggestion of running the dozer blade into a tree with the clutch pedal pushed in.  

Trees have a great sense of humor.  They are fond of dropping dead branches on you when you hit them.  Don't try it unless you have good overhead protection.
John D
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.

mtncrawler

#6
To change the clutch in my OC 3 I found it pretty easy to slide the engine forward. Don't think there's any other way.

pvcarey

#7
I think that I read in my book that to remove the drive shaft you remove the top 2 trans to frame bolts and rotate it to the rear on the lower bolts and that givs clearanct to remov the drive shaft, I just moved and the book is not handy but am sure that what it said.
 Ron

AdamPerry

#8
JUST HOPING FOR AN UPDATE.