Menu

Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Show posts Menu

Messages - Carl Besola

#1
HG, OC-3, OC-4 & General / Re: My Little Ollie.
February 26, 2012, 06:26:43 PM
Hello OliverChris! I guess I didn't realize you'd be on this board, but it looks like you are certainly an Oliver-Cletrac enthusiast! I've had some thoughts about counterweighting, obviously with me riding on it it don't need much more of a counterweight! [ha ha]. One thing I had thought about was taking some wheel weights from a tractor [i thought I had some, but they must have went in the great scrap metal boom], and making a bracket to pin to the rippers mounts and make it look a bit like a Continental kit on the back, or like my uncle who lived in Miami would call it "A Bagel on the back"! I thought something like that would look kinda cute on there! I also looked into fabbing up a ripper, and figured that it would cost around $800.00 to do that with new cylinders etc. I've also asked a buddy of mine who works for a scrap company to keep an eye out for some iron I could possibly use for such a project but so far I haven't heard anything from him. I'm sure you'll come up with something, there might be more farming in your area then mine, thus making wheel or other tractor weights easier to find than here in the U.P. One of the dealers near here has a nice little backhoe attachment that could be made to fit. but that would take a pretty big chunk of change and would have to be detachable anyway, so it wouldn't help much with the weighting. Anyway, I'm sure little Ollie will make a nice additon to your collection, It's good to know he's going to a good home! ;D
#2
HG, OC-3, OC-4 & General / My Little Ollie.
February 24, 2012, 01:35:48 AM
Hello Folks, Carl B. from da U.P. here. I've finally got some vids of my OC-46 on youtube. You can find them by going to my channel, type my name in the youtube search box like this  carlbesola all lower case with no space and they should come up. "Little Ollie in action" 1&2. This little tractor is a rescue! I found it at a camp I did a diggin' job at. The fella that owned the camp said he was going to send it to the scrapyard! It had a broken final drive and was missing some other misc. parts, but when I heard it sing I knew I had to save it! [ I know, I get a little sappy sometimes] Anyway, I didn't get as far into it as some of you guys have, but there really wasn't all that much wrong with it. The little bugger just needed some TLC. I hope you folks will check em' out, I think you'll like em' I sure had fun makin' em'!! ;D
#3
New members introduce yourselves here / Back again!
December 25, 2011, 06:38:43 PM
Hello Folks, been awhile since I've been here, sold the old DGH quite awhile ago, but recently picked up a cute little OC-46G that I'm planning to paint tommorow. Had to do some re-constructive surgery to it, i.e., sprocket studs etc. Also was missing some pieces but with Mr. Z's help, she's back on her feet and ready to dance![soon as I get her in her new dress!] I'll post some pics when we are done. the guy I bought it from was gonna send it to the scrapper, but when I heard it run I just knew I had to save it! Anyway, pics and video comin'! Sincerly, Carl Besola.
#4
Hello Jason, there are some pics of my DGH in the photo gallery on this site, and video on Youtube. My DGH has a Herc. RXC engine.
#5
Yeah Blake I kinda suspected that, With a name like MalkaMaki! LOL. I'm half Finn also, Grandma and Grandpa on Dad's side both born in Finland, Dad grew up in a household where he didn't learn to speak english till it was time to start school! There's a lot of us up here, they came for the mining and the logging and stayed cuz it reminded them of home I think. And it sure is a cold place today! Temp on my thermometer was -17 F. this morning! High temp for the day was about +5 F. I've seen colder to be sure, but we had such mild temps in Dec. & Jan. that we all got spoiled!
#6
Hello Blake, Thanks for posting the URL for me. I'm not a very savvy dude yet so I appreciate the help. Now it will be easy for anyone else to watch it by just clicking on the link. I also have some vid. of my old Hough 70 loader on there too, the one with the screaming Detroit 4-71. Thanks again my Friend and keep up the good work!! Carl B.
#7
Hey if any of you guys would like to see my old DGH cletrac in action, go to youtube.com and type Olddozer [just like that] in the search box and it should come up. Not the best quality video and you may have to turn the sound up, but you can hear the old Herc RXC and the tracks clanking etc. See how easy it steers with the air assist? Let me know if ya's have any trouble getting it to come up O.K.? Thanks Carl B.
#8
I wouldn't think so, because a D is a much larger trator than an A, and would therefore have a much larger engine, thus a much larger starter. :?
#9
All Models Except HG, OC-3, OC-4 & General / Cletrac DDH
December 12, 2006, 03:10:07 AM
Hello there, Carl B. from da U.P. here, I have a cletrac DGH with the air assisted steering, I've had minor trouble with one of the valves, and haven't been able to find a replacement. They are way different than anything that I have found on anything else, but they're just O rings inside the bore, so I figure I'll just hone it out with a brake cyl. hone and see what that does. I should have done that when I had the valve apart the first time! It is a nice option though, and the tractor does steer effortlessly, it just allows air to pass from one side of valve to other and slowly applies the brake on that side. Usually a quick working of the control will release and it'll work right for awhile, it seems like after awhile of running it doesn't do it so much. I would say buy if the price is right!! Good luck!!
#10
Hello folks, Carl B. from da U.P. here.  My Cletrac DGH has Bendix Westing house air assisted steering, and I'm having problems with one of the valves, it seems to be bypassing internally,and slowly applies the steering on that side. Normally, a quick working of the lever on that side returns things to normal, but I'd like to cure the problem for good if I can. I've taken the valve off, and I had a machine shop repair the valves housing- the mounting ears were broken off, and I replaced the O -rings inside, but still the problem persists. I'm wondering if these valves might be the same as the control valves on the old cranes and shovels that had pneumatic systems, and if anyone might be able to steer me to more info. any help will be appreciated greatly!! Thanks, Carl.
#11
Find an old Mercedes Benz 240D engine, they're tuff as nails and run forever.
#12
All Models Except HG, OC-3, OC-4 & General /
June 12, 2006, 02:23:37 AM
If I remember right, we used a ratcheting box end wrench. Also took the adjusting bolt off and threaded it a little farther to get a bit more adjustment, after all, they do ride in gear lube!
#13
All Models Except HG, OC-3, OC-4 & General / AG6H
April 06, 2006, 05:36:40 AM
Torch the bolts off, but as the wise man previously stated, be careful! Don't think you're gonna save too many of them, for you my Friend are dealing with a piece of heavy machinery AND NOTHING IS CHEAP!! If you are not prepared to spend LOTS of money than perhaps another hobby would be more suitable for you. Forgive me if I sound snooty.
#14
All Models Except HG, OC-3, OC-4 & General / Cletrac K
January 05, 2006, 08:01:10 PM
Look at the tracks, thats where the money is or where you will have to put it. If they are worn right out, then he should just about pay you to haul it away! Especially with the engine tore down like that. Otherwise I would say start out cheap. You can always go up, but it is next to impossible to get someone's price down if you start too high. Just my take on the subject. Good luck. Carl B. from da U.P. eh pard?
#15
All Models Except HG, OC-3, OC-4 & General / frozen oc12
December 31, 2005, 07:56:13 PM
At one time a guy could pour fuel oil on them.